Friday, October 22, 2010

Triple Threat: A Birthday Burrito Blog for Becca


This is my gorgeous friend Becca.  And that is the back of my wedding day head.  Today is her birthday, and being a fan of alliteration, I couldn't help but think that an appropriate salute would be to share with everyone a recipe for burritos that immediately made me thing of her.  

Why, you might ask, do burritos make me think of Becca, and is that actually a compliment? Well, being my BFF for nineteen years now, I can pretty much think of a way to associate any good thing with memories of Becca.  For example, burritos--meeting for lunch dates at Taco Time, going to Cafe Ole on New Years and Birthdays, and these particular burritos are healthy and in season, which I think Becca would like.  

Plus, they are just really, really good.  I found them on All Recipes and I think whoever made them up is just a genius.  I'm thinking of adding a sauce to them, but for now you won't go wrong with a little green salsa (Sam says he likes red better).




  • Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
(I halved this recipe which worked well for us)

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
  • 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.

  • Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.

  • Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.


For Becca's Birthday, Sam and I decided to go out and celebrate by driving to Stone Mountain (just a half hour jaunt down the freeway) and arriving 15 minutes to closing time.  We meant to do that!  Anyway, we hung out for a while, posing and doing autographs for some locals who had apparently heard we were a big deal in the blogging world.




I took a gangsta picture of myself while walking (everybody does this, don't lie).


 As Becca can tell you from our burrito eating days in Psych 101, the James-Lange theory suggests that when you act like a gangsta, you suddenly feel like one.  Which is why Sam had to talk me down from stealing this Cinderella pumpkin from a display.
Take only pictures, leave only footprints

Sam said he could eat a horse he was so hungry.  I said that was ridiculous, so he settled for what he could get in the snack department before we headed back home.  Turns out everything was closed and he was forced to make some dangerous choices of his own.



We love you Becca!  And don't forget folks, the virtual world is about to be turned on it's head for my upcoming collaboration with my Dad.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Sam's burrito car is my favorite. Also, here at the CSI Psych 101 Decennial, Pavlov and the dogs are still salivating for some black-bean burritos.

    Happy Birthday Becca!

    ReplyDelete