Friday, April 6, 2012

Muy Caliente

Well, yesterday I took my laziness to new levels.  While Sam made six trips back and forth to try and schedule a Spanish lesson, I did a lot of sitting at different locations.  In my defense, I think I should say that the weather here was somewhere in the high nineties with 75% humidity.  Life without air conditioning requires a lot of sitting and radical acceptance, which I'm working on practicing.  I have noticed an increased amount of grumpiness in both Sam and I about matters which we would normally be able to handle, such as who got the biggest piece of chocolate.  I'm sure you are feeling very sorry for us and want me to write more about our sad life, but I will stop there.  So since we couldn't be bothered to take a take a taxi to the volcano or see any prescribed sites, here is what we did see...










Blurry people riding bikes!  Aren't you glad you read this blog?  I'm fascinated by how people travel in other countries.  I guess when you come from a culture where people have to stay in a car seat until they're five, it is a shock to see little babies being balanced on someone's leg as they ride a bike down the street.  Really, that must take a lot of talent.  I've been trying throughout my travels to take pictures of great examples of this, but the trick of bike photography is that you have to be fast on the draw with your camera, which I'm not.  I will persevere!

It is Easter week here, which means EVERYONE is out on the street celebrating.  According to our host there are 50,000 drunk Nicaraguans down by the lake living it up for the holiday, but we are taking his word for it as I get claustrophobic in a crowd of only two or three drunk people.  Sam and I spent quite a bit of time sitting in the square by the main church, which was a quieter area.


I love to see the carriages peppered throughout the cars and bicycles on the street. 


You are pretty much getting a blow by blow photo narrative of my sitting in the square now.  These men had a heated conversation that lasted several hours, not that I was there that long...


After awhile we decided we had spent all our reserves sitting and it was time for a snack.  We headed right for the...


Our Nicaragua expert (yay, Megan!) recommended we try these little buddies.  There are tortillas filled with cheese and pickled onions and they were quite good.  I don't know how they do this, but they have slices of cheese the exact shape of the tortilla which greatly impressed me.  After that we took a little walk down to a church and to photograph a fruit tree and buy Sandinista postcards.

Sam y the church
Sam y the weird fruit
Sam y the Sandinista postcard-- the heat was getting to him at this point
Yesterday was so hot I couldn't even be bothered to put on makeup because it just falls off your face.  Who am I?  What is happening to the world as we know it?


We finished off the day with a beautiful dinner.  I had the recommended carne asada (again, yay Megan) and it was wonderful.  We all know I'm a sucker for twinkle lights so our choice of restaurant added up to an unparalleled dining experience.

I had to adjust a setting on my camera to take this picture and thus I'm ridiculously proud of it

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I have the HUGEST smile! Hooray, quesillo (and its own STAND even!? Heavens to Betsy!) and carne asada! I am just loving this. Headed back to read it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time....
    :) -Meggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! So do either of you speak enough spanish to figure out what on earth the old men were arguing about for hours? And you should be rediculously proud of the last photo. Knowing how to use the settings on your camera is very advanced. A little more time and we'll have to copyright all your stuff so that people have to pay to have the honor of a Gowin photo in their homes. :) Looks like ya'll are having fun and I am sure your face is celebrating the reprieve from makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving these Nicaragua posts! bringing me back to some very fond memories. you are a gem, Sarah! I love the way you capture the colorful reality of every day life. xoxo -jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you, Jenn! And Michelle, Sam speaks Spanish, but I usually make up the dialogue myself in cases like this.

    ReplyDelete